Thursday, May 2, 2013

Artist Statement for Thesis Show


 
Vita-logy
  The Study of Life 

My intent as a painter is to arrest motion on canvas, to capture life and hold it fixed. I am interested in making paintings of personal experiences, some as I remember and others as I prefer to remember them.  Referencing family photo albums and contemporary imagery, I aim to create a nostalgic world once imagined, now conceivably constructed with paint.  As I reflect on memories I hope to bring to life a personal mythology to better understand my reality.

In this show I chose to focus on seven hypothetical stages of human development from the vantage point of a male raised in suburban US. Ranging from the freedom of a child to the joys of an elderly father at a family dinner, each painting represents a different phase of life.

                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                   Zachary Proctor



                                                         

No comments: